Review: Allies of Skin Bright Future Sleeping Facial | Gin and Glow

Allies of Skin has a special place in my heart. Founded by Nicolas Travis, this Singaporean brand not only has brilliant formulations, but also uses the best ingredients the world has to offer. 


Bright Future is the second product I've tried from this brand, and although right now it's off the market (being reformulated, coming back in Spring 2021), I still have a couple of backup tubes left. I have to admit that Bright Future is the kind of product you look at, think about, sleep on, dream about, do a ton of google search on and eventually buy. It's quite expensive and it has a lot of active ingredients in it, which makes you think "huh, this could potentially irritate my skin, and it's pricey too".

No need to worry, I will be reviewing this product today and when Spring 2021 comes around, you will be more than ready to make your decision. 

Just like the name, Sleeping Facial, this product is a overnight mask. It is also described as a 'sleeping peel' because it has AHAs and BHA. It claims to exfoliate, brighten and improve skin's texture while providing hydration all night long.

This is new to me, most sleeping masks that I've tried (like this one from COSRX) are hydrating, moisturizing and soothing ones, a sleeping mask with acids - and wait for it, retinoid? Here's a little break down on Bright Future's key ingredients:




  1. AHAs (glycolic acid and lactic acid): Exfoliates the skin, helps with hyperpigmentation and dullness.
  2. BHA (salicylic acid): Exfoliates the skin deeper compared to AHAs, able to get inside pores and help dissolve the gunk clogging it. Helps with preventing and treating clogged pores (those flesh colored bumps on your skin that can turn into inflamed acne).
  3. Niacinamide: Helps brighten and even out skin tone as well as strengthening the skin barrier.
  4. Retinaldehyde: A form of retinoid that only requires 1 step of conversion to become retinoic acid (retinol needs 2 stages), making this potentially faster compared to retinol. It helps with acne, pigmentations, dullness and fighting signs of ageing.
  5. Diglucosyl gallic acid: A biotechnologically-produced ingredient that could be way more potent than kojic acid. Helps with stubborn hyperpigmentation.
  6. Hyaluronic acid: A humectant that helps hydrate the skin and hold on to moisture, can also act as a 'buffer' when used with active ingredients.
  7. Medical grade manuka honey: Honey has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, it's also incredibly nourishing. 
Now let's go back to the product. It comes ina  grey, airtight tube with a pump. This packaging is fantastic because it protects the active ingredients inside and it has a modern-chic touch to it. It's also slim, practical and travel-friendly.




The mask is yellow and a little bit sticky (think manuka honey). It does have a scent but I can't really pinpoint what scen tit is, however I can assure you, it's not a bad scent, it's not funky at all. Actually it smells a bit botanical? I'm not sure, I don't trust my sense of smell.

Although the product is a little bit sticky, the stickiness will go away. But I still suggest putting your hair up in a bun or a ponytail just so it won't stick to your face. I also notice that the stickiness has something to do with how many pumps you use. Don't worry, it is bearable, not annoying at all unless you're planning to roll around in a stack of hays.

Allies of Skin suggested using this product 3 nights in a row every week. I use it every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. They also suggest using their face mist beforehand but since I don't have it, I always use a light & simple hydrating toner. 




Since it was kind of a splurge, I expected a lot fro it, and it delivers. Here's a before and after photo (that white thing near my lips is from dental cleaning). You see, my breakout is significantly reduced, my skin looks brighter and more refined, pores look cleaner (therefore, smaller). My skin also feels softer and smoother. Best part is, despite having all of those actives in one tube (acids, retinaldehyde, etc) this does not dry out and or irritate my skin at all. I didn't even use moisturizer since this is pretty nourishing for me. I get all of these benefits, with no side effects - besides purging.

So, purging. Since this has 0.03% retinaldehyde, purging is expected to happen. When your skin is purging, all of the clogged pores and under-the-surface acne appears. It usually lasts up to 28 days or 4 weeks, I dealt with it for 2-3 weeks. 

Do I like this product? I love it. I can't believe my own before and after and I do think this is a one of a kind product. I have tried other chemical exfoliants (like this one from Drunk Elephant), but this is something else, this is more than just a chemical exfoliant, it's like a one-step skincare that does everything. Every single time I use this, I feel like applying a hyaluronic acid serum, chemical exfoliant, niacinamide serum and retinoid all at once. Not only it's very smart & time-saving, it also saves me the trouble of mixing and layering actives.

Final verdict, I love it, I want to marry it. I can't wait for the new revamped version to come out. It is a brilliant product, one of a kind, and yes I will always repurchase. 


Comments