Review: Secondate Milky Gel Lip Tint 2.0 | Gin and Glow

Secondate's most famous product to date is by far the Milky Gel Lip Tints, for good and not-so-good reasons. Lip tint, or lip stain is a lip product, usually a liquid that leaves a stain on the lips after hours of use, initially popular among Korean beauty brands and is now internationally known.



Just in case you don't know, Secondate is a local beauty brand and their first products was their Milky Gel Lip Tint. At that time it was available in 6 different shades and was very popular, highly coveted due to the CEO being a popular YouTuber in Indonesia.

Despite the product gaining popularity, it does have negative reviews such as flimsy applicators and streaky, patchy finish. After many months, Secondate released a renewed version in June of this year - which I will be reviewing today.
Aside from revamping the formula, Secondate also improved the packaging & applicator and added two new shades, Cuddle and Cafe. 


The shape of the packaging is the same as the old one (like a giant, beige pill), but the finish is different. The old version has this rubbery, velvety exterior packaging that was very hard to clean and a little annoying. The newer version (or as they call it MGLT 2.0) has a smooth plastic finish that's easier to clean with just a wet wipe.


They also changed the applicator. It used to be a straight doe-foot applicator (many reported that their applicators broke off easily, but mine didn't), but now it's more of a slanted applicator which makes coating the entire lips more easier. It's also easier to apply on the cupid's bow and corners of the mouth. 

I think the texture changed a lot, for the better. I had the MGLT 1 before and I didn't really like the texture of it - it was lightweight and comfortable, but it was a tad goopy and streaky, giving me patchy finish. Sometimes the product would just coagulate at the corners of my lips and it was weird. MGLT 2.0 is much smoother, easier to work with and won't coagulate or clump. 

Formula-wise, they claimed to have added hydrating & nourishing ingredients, but to me it felt the same, just less drying and no longer patchy/streaky when applied.

I only got 3 of the newer ones, Picnic, Cuddle and Cafe.
Picnic is described as a beige-pink shade.
Cuddle is described as a natural rose shade.
Cafe is described as a caramel nude.


From top to bottom: Cafe, Picnic, Cuddle

They're definitely smoother and easier to use, which makes the result better (lips look slightly fuller) and not streaky and patchy. No weird clumps. The color blended nicely. They feel lightweight and barely there, feels like I have nothing on my lips. They're not as drying as the old one as well. 

The slanted applicator is also easy to work with, I can reach the corners of my mouth easily without creating a mess. 

Personally, I like the shade Cuddle because I find that it complements my skin tone the best, but Cafe and Picnic are both excellent shades for my skin tone as well. 

If you're curious about the newer formulas, I suggest you try them when they're back in stock, because not only it is much smoother, less drying and way easier to use, the two new shades are actually better than their existing shade range.

Comments