Review: Pat McGrath Mini MatteTrace Lipstick Trio in Colour Blitz | Gin and Glow

Pat McGrath is a makeup artist who did makeup for famous supermodels and named the most influential makeup artist in the world by Vogue magazine. Pat McGrath is also known for using bold colours and out-of-the-box materials like feathers and ornaments. 


Today I'm very excited because well, Pat McGrath has her own makeup line - Pat McGrath Labs. They are very hard to get - and according to Jeffree Star, Nikkie Tutorials and more YouTube beauty gurus Pat McGrath MatteTrance Lipsticks are the best lipstick in the world.

review pat mcgrath lipstick trio blitz

Since they are a little more on the pricier side, I decided to buy the mini trio in colour blitz. This trio consisted of 3 matte lipstick shades, Elson, Obsessed! and Full Panic.

In this post I am going to review these lipsticks and if you are interested in my opinion on these lipsticks, do I like them, are they really the best matte lipsticks in the world? Keep reading!

So just like her regular sized lipsticks, the mini trio comes in a gold plastic bag full of sequins. I can't even, it's too pretty. I wanna save these sequins.

review pat mcgrath mattetranace lipstick trio colour blitz


Unlike the regular lipsticks, the minis are way smaller. But since I'm a little tight on money and I don't really know which color to get, I'm OK with getting this mini trio because then I can decide which shade I want to get in the full size.

pat mcgrath mattetrance lipstick review elson full panic obsessed colour blitz


The packaging is cute. The lipstick is housed in a black and gold tube. Very elegant and sleek. I personally think the lips detail on the component is very cute.

So here are the swatches on my arm:

swatch and review pat mcgrath mattetrance lipstick elson full panic obsessed trio

Elson is a true blue red.
Full Panic is a slightly warm-toned fuchsia pink.
Obsessed! is a warm-toned orange red.

review and swatch pat mcgrath mattetrance lipstick trio


When I swatched them on my lips I was mind blown! They are very pigmented, and unlike regular matte lipsticks, these glides on very easily, they are not dry and they don't tug. They're more of a creamy matte lipstick, however some of the shades are not completely matte, you'll see in a minute. However the formula is bomb. It feels like I'm not wearing lipstick, but you get HIGH pigmentation in just one swipe. OK I also apologize because of the size of these mini lipsticks, it's kinda hard to apply, so Elson looks messy.

On me, Elson is like a true blue-toned red, it's bold and beautiful, it is very similar to MAC Ruby Woo with a much better formula (Ruby Woo is very dry). Obsessed! is more of an orange red on me, this one reminds me of MAC Lady Danger, but creamier and I feel like Obsessed! isn't fully matte, it's more like semi-matte because it has a subtle sheen to it. Full Panic, on my lips, translates into a more neutral pink, slightly warm, the boldness is perfect, it's not too bright but it's not too soft either.

Out of these 3 shades, of course, you all know, I like Elson the most. I like wearing reds and Elson is beautiful. By the way I am also surprised by how Full Panic is on my lips, I thought it would show up as a weird pink I can't wear, but it's a wearable pink, I don't have any pinks in my collection because I find pink lipsticks unwearable, but Full Panic is definitely a pink I can wear. I like Obsessed! But I don't think it's a shade I'll buy in full-sized. I don't wear orange that often, as beautiful as Obsessed! is, I don't think I'm getting the full-sized anytime soon because well, money is tight and we have to sacrifice - and also I can just rush to MAC and grab Lady Danger.

What do you think? What's your favorite Pat McGrath lipstick? 

Comments