Review: I'm From Rice Mask | Gin and Glow

I'm From is a Korean beauty brand best known for their use of natural ingredients such as mugwort, rice, honey and ginseng. Their mugwort line is well-loved by a lot of people, but do you know that I'm From has a lot of different products other than mugwort?











Today, I'm From is available in Indonesia, you can buy I'm From products on Sociolla.com (use my code to get a special discount!) or in Sociolla stores. When I'm From became available, I checked out a couple of items, one of them being the Rice Mask.

I like their Mugwort Mask, but I also want to try their other masks, so here we are. In case you don't know, I'm a fan of rice extract, the brightening effect is noticeable and it is also very moisturizing. Another product with rice extract that I really like is the sleeping mask from COSRX (reviewed here).

If you are interested in the review please keep on reading!
Rice Mask is described as a wash-off mask formulated with 4.1% rice extract that is rich in vitamins and minerals in order to maintain the skin's elasticity and moisture. It claims to help exfoliate and brighten the skin while providing the skin with moisture.

This mask comes in a glass jar (typical I'm From) and it also comes with a small plastic spatula. I have no issue with packaging, in fact, I like the glass jar because it's easy to reuse and or repurpose and it also looks good on top of the bathroom counter!




The product has an off-white color, kinda reminds me of vanilla ice cream. It has a creamy texture, almost gooey, but still relatively easy to spread and apply on the skin. It also has visible rice granules in it to provide physical exfoliation. The granules are pretty large in size, but they're not perfectly round, therefore the shape of these particles are not uniform. Despite the gooey texture, this mask isn't sticky (not as sticky as their Honey Mask, at least). It has a sweet-floral-powdery scent but it doesn't really bother me, since it's a nice smell and it's a wash-off mask, the scent doesn't linger.

My first impression was oh, I love how this feels on my face. Upon first application, I feel a slight cooling sensation, the texture of the mask reminds me of the Lotus Mask from fresh (reviewed here) but creamier. After first few uses, I noticed that my skin is more moisturized and softer to the touch. I don't see any instant brightening effects, but my complexion did seem brighter after continuous use for almost 2 weeks. 




Now onto the things I don't really enjoy about this mask. First, it leaves a thin layer of residue - but this is manageable, just use a toner pad or a toner-soaked cotton pad and swipe. Second, as I mentioned before, the granules in this mask are not uniform, some are small, some are big, some are fine and a few of them are quite sharp, which can cause micro-tears in the skin - so please be gentle when removing this mask, use a sponge or a washcloth if possible.

However, I think, with this mask, less is definitely better. If you use a thick layer, you will need extra effort to wash it off, that extra effort might lead you to aggressively rub your skin and the granules might cause microscopic injury, not to mention thicker layer will leave more residue.

Although I kinda like this mask (yes it has algae extract but thank all the Gods, it is not the algae species that usually broke me out), I actually prefer their Mugwort mask because the mugwort one is easier to rinse off, gentler, has soothing properties and provides similar amount of hydration and moisture. That does not mean this one's not good, it's decent, I like the moisture and the physical exfoliating action, but I just tend to reach for the Mugwort one more. 

Have you tried anything from I'm From? If yes, what's your favorite product? If no, what's in your wish list? Let me know!

Comments