Sunday Riley Good Genes VS Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum | Gin and Glow

Hello! Today I want to talk about two wonderful products that are similar but also different. They are Sunday Riley Good Genes and Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum! A lot of my friends have been asking me which one do I like better? Which one is more effective? So I think I'm just going to explain here on the blog.

lactic acid vs glycolic acid sunday riley drunk elephant

Yes, both products have some similarities. Both are chemical exfoliants containing AHA, both are on the pricier side of the spectrum, but other than that, they're pretty much different. 

In order to know more about the differences between these two incredible exfoliants, please keep reading!

First of all, Good Genes uses lactic acid as the main exfoliant (Sunday Riley also released a glycolic acid version which I have not tried) while TLC Framboos uses glycolic acid. Both are exfoliating acids but they are very different. 

Glycolic acid has the smallest molecule compared to the other AHAs, which means it can penetrate really deep into the skin and help boost collagen production. Once applied, glycolic acid reacts with the upper layer of the epidermis, weakening the bond of lipids that hold dead skin cells together. Glycolic acid is also known as tyrosinase inhibitor - which means it's able to suppress melanin formation and evening out skin tone.

Lactic acid has bigger molecule, therefore it doesn't penetrate the skin as deep as glycolic acid does. As the Queen of Skincare, Caroline Hirons explained here, lactic acid dissolves the glue in between cells on the surface. Therefore lactic acid is gentler than gylcyolic acid, it keeps the skin soft and it gently eats away dead skin cells.

For me, personally, I prefer glycolic acid, it's faster, it's more effective and it has anti-aging properties (beware, it increases photosensitivity too). I have combination and acne-prone skin and my skin can handle glycolic acid pretty well. However, lactic acid is not that bad, I still like them because they are gentle and less chance of irritations and damaging the skin barrier.

So going back to the two products, Good Genes is a lactic acid based exfoliant that should be used at night. It's packaged in a glass bottle with a pump and the product itself is like a white lotion. On my first time of using it, it tingles, but the more often you use it, your skin will get used to it. Good Genes gives me softer skin in the morning, but it doesn't do much help about clogged pores. Another issue I have with most lactic acid based product is the smell. I also find Good Genes a little bit thick in texture. 

TLC Framboos on the other hand, is a clear gel with no scent at all. Packed in an opaque bottle with a pump. Just like Good Genes (I mean, they're all acids, right?), there's a tingling sensation on the first few days but then my skin just gets used to it. From my personal experience, TLC Framboos has helped prevent clogged pores and I wake up to softer and glowing skin.

If I have to pick one, I'd pick the Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum (oh my god what a lengthy name), because I prefer glycolic acid, and my skin is combination, I get a lot of blackheads, whiteheads and clogged pores in certain parts of my skin, this product is really helpful in preventing those. FYI, I started out with Sunday Riley Good Genes, I liked it - I tolerated the scent, but when I decided to try glycolic acid, I've been converted. I still like Good Genes, but I prefer TLC Framboos because it gives me the result I want and it uses the acid that works best on my skin.

Comparing Good Genes and TLC Framboos is silly, because these are two different products. If you're thinking of getting one of these, learn about your skin type, what products have you used, and what results do you want. If you have sensitive skin, you should try Good Genes because it's gentler on the skin, but if you're used to exfoliating acids, or if you want the anti-aging benefits of glycolic acid, go for the TLC Framboos. It all depends on your skin type and what your skin needs.


Comments