Review: Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil | Gin and Glow

I have to admit, I've had my eyes on Biossance products for months, and when they released the limited edition pink bottle, I immediately bought one. I haven't tried products that uses squalane as their main ingredient, so I literally did not know what to expect.


Biossance formulates clean and nontoxic skincare products. They are very transparent about their products and they have blacklisted over 2000 toxic ingredients. Biossance is also sustainable, both their formulas and packagings are eco-friendly (good for the skin and good for the earth).

To know more about the product, please keep reading!




The packaging is beautiful, it's a transparent pink bottle - I heard that vitamin C products are supposed to be packaged in an opaque packaging due to it's instability, but the vitamin C used in this product is tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate - a stable form of vitamin C that's considered as effective as L-ascorbic acid, so I guess that's fine (let me know, though). Going back to the packaging, it's very instagrammable - I can't help.

Another main ingredient besides tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate is squalane (of course, it's Biossance). Eventhough squalane is produced naturally by the human body, but its production decreases after the age of 30 - causing dry skin. Good news is, squalane (made by eliminating the double bonds through hydrogenation process), can be derived from plants, just like Biossance, their squalanes are derived from sugarcanes. Squalane is way more stable than squalene, therefore it's commonly used as a moisturizer.

Although squalane is, well, oil, it doesn't have any oily feel. It's non-comedigonic, odourless and since our skin already has squalane, it's absorbed very quickly. 

Unblended

Blended

The texture of the product is lovely. Yes it is an oil, but it doesn't have that greasy feel, it absorbs real quick into the skin. It's not a thick oil, it's a bit watery and it has this beautiful rose scent to it. Usually I use this product at night, before my moisturizer. Why? Because this product contains vitamin C in it, I want to make sure that it gets absorbed well. But I've used this product in the morning as well and it works well under makeup and sunscreen. Basically, despite being an oil, this product does not cause pilling or anything. Makeup and sunscreen application goes on fine.

As you can see on my hand, once you pat it in or rub it in (on the face I prefer patting), it's like there's no trace of it.

After a month of trying this product out, I feel like my skin is softer, plumper and more radiant. It definitely makes my skin glow, it's like I have that glow-from-within look. My skin also feels bouncier.

About the Vitamin C, I have not notice any major brightening effects yet. I noticed my complexion is brighter and healthier, but my acne marks are still there, this product doesn't lighten it. I guess I need L-asrorbic acid for that.

Would I recommend this product? It depends. It's a great product, especially if you already have good skin and you want extra moisture and glow. But if you want to get rid of hyperpigmentation, try something else. 

Would I repurchase? Maybe. I love this product, it's just that my goal right now is to get rid of these stubborn PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation), and this product is quite pricey, so maybe not. But when those marks are gone, I'm definitely coming back for this - I'm such a glow getter, you know.


Comments