Review: COSRX Hydrium Centella Aqua Soothing Ampoule | Gin and Glow

COSRX's newest launch, the Hydrium line, finally hit Indonesian market around a month ago. The line has 5 products - a toner, 2 moisturizers and 2 ampoules. The line mainly focuses on hydration, so there's some hyaluronic acid products and also some centella asiatica products.


When I first saw it at Sociolla, I was unsure whether to get it or not, simply because I was happy with my skincare routine back then. However, I got more curious everyday until one day, I decided to try just one product from the Hydrium line.

I picked the Centella Aqua Soothing Ampoule for several reasons. Initially I wanted to get one of the moisturizers, but the gel cream might be too light and the cream version has coconut oil in it. Believe it or not, I've heard good things about centella asiatica, but I never actually own a product that uses centella as its' main ingredient.

If you're interested in how this stuff performs, keep on reading!

I checked the ingredients list and the second ingredient is actually centella asiatica extract, so the concentration must be pretty high. It also contains humectants like glycerin, sugarcane extract and some glycols (dipropylene glycol & pentylene glycol). It also has allantoin, madecassoside and panthenol in it (although these three are at the bottom of the list, but the list is minimal). It claims be fast absorbing and able to hydrate and soothe the skin quickly.

The ampoule comes in a bottle that I assume to be glass. The bottle is matte white and opaque. It looks pretty cool and minimal but I can't see how much product I have left. It has a dropper like most serums and ampoules in the market.

The serum is very watery, it feels just like water. Very runny and absorbs quickly into the skin. It's clear and it has no scent at all. Which is not a surprise since COSRX don't usually add fragrance to their products.

Due to its' lightweight texture, it doesn't cause any pilling when layered with another serum or product and I can apply more than one layer of this when I feel like it. Despite being ultra lightweight, I find this quite hydrating. Not as hydrating as some hyaluronic acid serums I've tried (Drunk Elephant and Allies of Skin), but much better than The Ordinary (it pills so bad) and For Skin's Sake (contains carrageenan). If you have very dry and or very dehydrated skin, you might need something more hydrating than this one, or if you really want to use this, use 2-3 layers of it.


After incorporating this ampoule into my skincare routine (AM and PM), I do feel that this adds a decent amount of hydration. I also notice that it reduces the redness of my skin that is caused by inflammation (when the skin is inflamed, it becomes red and somewhat painful). Please keep in mind that this type of redness is different from PIE, PIE is post-inflammatory erythema, which means that it appears after the inflammation is gone. As for my PIE, no this doesn't really help, but I've been using this for only 2+ weeks, and PIE takes months to heal.

I think this is a very basic product, and I'm not saying 'basic' in a bad way here. It's simple and minimal so it's pretty safe. It's lightweight and fast-absorbing, perfect for those who wants a no-fuss skincare routine or those who just started skincare. This would be perfect for people with oily & sensitive skin as well.

I enjoy using this after exfoliating because I know it won't clog my freshly exfoliated skin, yet it will hydrate & soothe my skin. Despite liking this product, I don't see myself repurchasing. Maybe I will, but I really want to try their hyaluronic acid ampoule next.

Overall, this is not a bad product, it's actually good, it delivers decent amount of hydration, it soothes the skin and it's very, very lightweight. Usually this kind of product is not my cup of tea, but this works. I do need to seal in the hydration with a good moisturizer, though. 

People with oilier skin types and or inflamed skin will love this, I think. I personally like it but not completely head over heels about it. A light burst of hydration is always a good thing. 


Comments