Review: Summer Fridays R+R Masque | Gin and Glow

Summer Fridays popped up in our Instagram feed and immediately stole our hearts. This influencer-founded brand's products are instantly recognizeable by their aluminum squeeze tube packaging.

Summer Fridays masks have been appearing in beauty blogs, YouTube videos and Instagram. The brand itself, founded by Marianna Hewitt and Lauren Gores, gained popularity when they released their first product, the Jet Lag Mask.



Not long after they released Jet Lag, they released two more masks, R+R and Overtime. Now Summer Fridays has a serum and a cleanser too, but these iconic masks actually launched the brand into stardom.

Today I'm going to review one of their masks, the R+R Mask (or Masque if you're fancy). Since these masks are pretty hard to find here in Indonesia & are quite pricey, I was lucky enough to buy a travel-sized one. 


R+R is described as a 2 in 1 mask that buffs skin while hugging it in a luxurious mix of restorative natural oils. Made with Bulgarian rose oil, argan oil, rose flower powder, safflower oil, sesame oil, avocado oil and grape seed oil, it claims to give you a petal-soft skin. Both founders stated that this mask is like giving your skin a bouquet of all your favorite face oils.



The rose flower powder is supposed to gently buff away dead skin cells, and the antioxidant-rich oils (argan, safflower, sesame, avocado, grape seed) will nourish, heal and moisturize the skin.

R+R comes in Summer Friday's iconic aluminum squeeze tube. The tube has this pink, rose gold color. I have to admit the packaging is very Instagrammable & it's pretty practical too. With this kind of tubes, when you're almost out, you can squeeze and roll the tube.

The product itself is clear with visible particles of rose flower powder. It feels oily, not shocking, though, since the product itself contains a lot of oils and it. Not super runny, which is great, because if this mask was runny, it would be a slippery, greasy mess.

It smells so good, literally like a bouquet of roses. Application was so relaxing due to the scent and the slightly oily texture makes this mask glides easily on the skin. I left it on for 10 minutes and then rinse. While rinsing, I can feel that the rose flower powders are actually very fine and gentle, and after I'm done rinsing, my skin literally glows.



It looks like my skin is glowing from within. However, it feels slightly oily too - not in a bad way, it was more like a "I just applied face oil" kind of feeling. Since argan, safflower and grapeseed oil are rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids, no wonder my skin feels super soft.

Overall, I do like this product. It did what it claimed to do, buffs away dead skin cells (physically) and nourish your face with a combination of antioxidant rich oils. However, it's pretty expensive and I think there are some antioxidant masks that are just as good. The 'face oil' feeling left after rinsing could also be a problem for some people, especially those who don't like face oils. I am neutral towards face oil, so I was OK with it. I don't see myself repurchasing it, though, as much as I love the packaging and the scent and the whole experience, I only enjoy the facial oil feeling it left behind at night, so this mask isn't really that versatile.

What do you think of Summer Fridays? Is it just another overhyped brand or are the other products actually really good? Let me know!

Comments